May 30, 2017
After many years of dedicated work by community members and organizations, including $15 and Fairness and Workers Action Centre, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne announced that the Ontario government will make significant changes to Ontario workplaces including:
- Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour by January 1, 2019
- Mandating equal pay for equal work for part-time, temporary, casual and seasonal employees
- Expanding personal emergency leave to 10 days including a minimum of 2 paid days per year for all workers
- Increasing vacation time to 3 weeks after an employee is employed 5 years with the same company
- Requiring employees to be paid 3hrs of wages if their shift is cancelled less than 48 hours before their shift
This is a huge step in the right direction for addressing child and family poverty in the province and ensuring that work is a pathway out of poverty.